Butlers Chocolates began life in Dublin’s Lad Lane in 1932. The company was founded by a pioneering lady called Marion Butler who named her luxury chocolate creations Chez Nous Chocolates. Marion established the company in the heart of fashionable Georgian Dublin, making her delicious confections by hand.
Marion, who was born in India and moved to Ireland as a young woman, continued to make her delicious chocolates until 1959, when the company was bought by Seamus Sorensen from Cork. The company is still owned and run by the Sorensen family.
Chez Nous luxury chocolates were regularly sold at the very popular Horse Show and Spring Show in the RDS in Dublin and the company’s first retail store was opened in the Grafton Arcade in 1960. The brand was renamed Butlers Irish Chocolates in 1984, in memory of Marion Butler. To mark the company’s relationship and early beginnings with the Dublin Horse Show, a rider and horse remained part of the Butlers Irish Chocolates logo for many years.